Monday, August 11, 2008

Vacation

As you can probably guess by my lack of blog posts, I have been on vacation.  I took the past week off of work and, as HP would say, "had big much fun!".

Starchy, Dirty Dane, Morehouse and Bergen took in Lollapalooza in Chicago.  They got home late on Sunday and although they were exhausted, they all had matching perma-grins.  Starchy enjoyed Radiohead (his favorite band) but said he really loved watching Rage Against The Machine (who had broken up as a band and recently reunited), who rocked their set.

We spent Monday and Tuesday hanging out at Homebase with our friends.  It was so nice to slow down and relax.  It is so fun hanging out with friends that you haven't seen in a while.  I don't know if there is anything more fun than reminiscing about the "good ol' days" over some burgers and beer.  A good time was had by all.

On Monday night we had a good thunderstorm.  Our friend Morehouse, who is from Montana, almost shat his drawers.  Poor guy woke his wife up in the middle of the night, convinced there was a tornado right outside his window.  Starchy was up (because HP was pitching a fit) and had to reassure him that if there was a tornado, the sirens would be blaring.  I think Morehouse slept with one eye open the rest of the night.

Our friends headed out on Wednesday and Starchy, the kids and I got ready for Phase Two of our vacation.  

On Thursday we left for the Wisconsin Dells.

For those living out of the Midwest, the Dells are famous for their Water Parks.  We are not talking any dinky little kiddie slides (although I am sure The Dude and HP would have been just as happy with something like that).  We went to The Wilderness Resort which had 
slides that are world famous (and not just for giving the World's Biggest Wedgies either) (although, I am SURE I would have won THAT honor)!  

There was a height requirement on some of the biggest slides so I took it upon myself to make sure we got our money's worth.  I went down one called "The Black Hole" that was basically a balls-to-the-wall slide, which spits you out midway through, into a giant toilet bowl, which then "flushes" you into another mind blowingly fast slide.  The poor attendant at the end of the ride stuck his hand out to politely help me from my tube, I shook my head and looked with horror at his outstretched hand, knowing if I was to jump off then, the people looking on would see both of my ass cheeks.  I decided to float it out whilst picking the wedgie of a lifetime.

The Dude and I also went on a race ride called Haley's Comet.  It was basically four identical slides that you rode on head first on with nothing but a tiny mat between you and the slide. The Dude was a champ.  He had no problem whatsoever and LOVED the speed and thrill of the ride.  Me, not so much.  Let's just say, I pushed down too hard on my mat at the finish line (I was trying REALLY hard to let The Dude win) that I created a squall that went directly up my nose.  I think I had pool water coming out of my eyeballs.  Not as bad as the wedgie, but close.

HP and The Dude had so much fun.  They went 100 miles an hour the entire two days that we were there.  It was like their little heads were on a swivel.  They LOVED the wave pool (even though it threw them both around like little rag dolls), they spent a ton of time in the kids play park section, swinging on ropes and standing under the dump bucket.  Both of them really made strides with their swimming skills as well.
  
The Dude is starting to grasp the concept of breathing to the side with his face in the water. HP is starting to put her face in the water and kick on her stomach.  It was really fun to watch.

We got home late on Saturday and spent the rest of the weekend doing laundry and watching the Olympics (how about the Men's free relay last night!  I am SO glad I stayed up for that!).

Here are are a ton of vacation pics!  Enjoy!

HP had to get in to this feather boa display at the gift shop.  Doesn't she hide well?


I have made dentist appointments for both kids... ;)

I love this picture.  Starchy attempting to get more sleep in the background, and HP's dainty fingers gripping her juice box (I also love the day-old ponytail, so chic).

HP, The Dude and Starchy watching Kung Fu Panda.  They were REALLY into it! 

H-pizzle!


The grounds of the resort were HUGE so Starchy did a lot of shoulder rides!

Cutest little boy on the planet.


Cutest little girl on the planet!


HP doing her best Paul Bunyan impression (he carries a purse right?).

Whenever we weren't at the water park (which wasn't often) The Dude watched out the window aching to get back (note: Haley's Water-up-the-nose Comet in the background).

Starchy with a new shoulder ride passenger.

Starchy and The Dude just getting up from nap.

The Dude and I.

The Dude in his glory!  

HP swimming!


1 comment:

queen foodie said...

Looks like you had a great time. Those are really good pix.