Thursday, February 12, 2009

American Idol

My Wednesday nights have been pretty tame lately.  

While flipping through the channels a few weeks ago I came across American Idol.  

I have to admit, I rolled my eyes and didn't think that I would stay on the channel for more than a few minutes.  Then something really weird happened.  This Ryan Seacrest fella started telling back stories on all of these wanna-be singers.  They were heart-wrenching.  People that were homeless...their parents were dead...parents were in jail...they had 5 kids and no baby daddy!  The list went on and on.  Each one of these underdog stories had me rooting for them and hoping that they could actually sing.  

The cool thing about the auditions, is that you get to see a wide variety of talent.  I felt for the people that could probably sing, but were so nervous in front of Paula, Randy, Simon and The New Girl, that they came out sounding more like a goat in heat (or what I imagine that to sound like).

A few times I laughed right along with the judges when someone thought they had talent, but were apparently tone deaf and didn't realize they sounded awful.  It was weird to watch people huff away telling the cameras that the judges had made a mistake by not giving them a pass to Hollywood.  Yeah right.

This past week the contestants have been at Hollywood and they have whittled the prospective singers down to 36.  

I am hooked.  

Although I can't watch Tuesday (Biggest Loser trumps American Idol), I will be tuning in on Wednesday nights to see if these average people can actually make their dreams come true.  

3 comments:

LiteralDan said...

I got hooked for one season, then when I came back for another and realized it was going to be the same thing all over again, I just lost interest.

It was fun, though-- I just wish they wouldn't stretch everything out so long. How many commercials and how much padding do you need?

BB and DB said...

I love a good emotional hook! Takes me back to our college days :) Good thing that show wasn't around then... as if we didn't already spend enough time on that big orange couch! ha ha!

jen said...

I became an Idol addict a few seasons back...I still pride myself in having singled Carrie Underwood out when they first narrowed it down from hollywood....I wouldn't catch any Idol without the DVR. Enjoy!