Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blessings

I tucked both kids in tonight.  

After reading books and the obligatory snug, I went to each of their rooms one last time.

After smothering kisses all over HP's face and praising her for wearing her eye patch, I moved on to The Dude's room right across the hall.

Before I pushed open his door, I could hear him trying to stifle his tears.  I paused at the door and heard him take a big breath before we had the following conversation...

Me:  "Dude, are you okay?  It sounds like you are a little sad (keep in mind that the lights were off so I couldn't actually see his face).

The Dude:  "I am okay, I was just saying a prayer to God".

Me:  "Well, good.  That shouldn't be a sad thing though.  Is there something that you want to talk about?"

The Dude:  "I don't want to get made fun of".  

Me:  "Who makes fun of you for praying to God?" (at this point I didn't understand that he was embarrassed to tell ME and just couldn't find the words).

The Dude: "Nobody".

Me:  (realizing that he may just want to keep his reasons private) "Okay Dude, you don't have to talk about it.  Goodnight Buddy.  I love you."

The Dude: "Momma...I was talking to God about HP."

Me:  "Okay."

The Dude: (through sniffles and tears) "I was asking him to help her eyes get better so that she can see the wide open world.  Its not fair that she wears glasses and an eye patch.  He should make her better."

My heart nearly burst out of my chest.

I am SO proud to be this kids mom.


No comments: