Monday, February 1, 2010

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Hello Internet!

I am so excited to share something today. I have committed to do the Avon 2-day Breast Cancer Walk. :D The reason that I wanted to do this event (aside from the personal challenge of walking for two days) is that I wanted to honor Ryan's grandma Betty who died after fighting the disease, and his grandma Elsie who is a survivor.

Breast cancer can be hereditary. If someone in your family has had the disease, your risk of getting it increases (especially in women). From cancer.org

"Having one first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer approximately doubles a woman's risk. Having 2 first-degree relatives increases her risk about 5-fold".

Having a daughter, who is only two generations away from her great-grandmothers, is reason enough for me to take up the cause. I am committed to raise $1800 (hopefully with your help).

Please check out my personal page and make a donation. I know that times are tough, but any amount you can pledge will bring us closer to a cure! Thanks for all your help!

Rikki

No comments: